Experimental Happiness

Friday, March 18, 2011

Have you ever asked yourself what it means to be happy? I would venture to say that for each person, the answer would probably be somewhat similar, but vastly different.

Some people would say being rich would make them happy, or having this car or that kind of house or this particular job, etc. Others would be more apt to think about friendships, families and personal relationships. And still others would think about being at peace with their surroundings, or in tune with themselves.

What does real happiness feel like? 
If I were to describe it, I would say things like, "loving", "caring", "warm fuzzy feelings", "smiling", "state of well-being", and struggle to give words to something that isn't really all that describable.



There are things - events and memories - that I can call to mind to remind myself of what happiness feels like, but for the most part happiness isn't tangible. It isn't something you can hold. It isn't the drawing that your child just gave you that claims that you are the "World's Best Mom", it is the feeling of love or acceptance or devotion that the "thing" brings out in you. That is what happiness is. The emotion that we place or associate with a given event. Our reaction to ourselves, others or that event.

I think happiness is something that can be hard to attain for some. Many people struggle every day to be happy - they say that people, events, and circumstances prevent them from being happy. The loss of a job or struggles with loved ones or even just being around other people who aren't happy can "take" our happiness away. But I think that happiness isn't relative - that it can't be "taken" away from us.

We let it go.

It is our reaction to these outside influences that makes it seem so difficult to be happy. It is how WE react; how our brain has been trained to view these circumstances. How WE have trained our brain to view these circumstances. Let's face it, we are given feedback every day through media, our friends, our family and those we barely know, about how we should look and feel and what we should do, dress like, own and feed ourselves. We are constantly bombarded with pictures, words and emotions from media and people around us. BUT the way that WE process this information is what is important.

No one can make us feel anything we don't want to feel. 

Eleanor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Explaining further she said, "In the long run, we shape our lives and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die, and the choices that we make are ultimately our responsibility."

Think about this for a while. Everything we do or feel, WE are in control of. Life throws opportunities at us; challenges us to think, feel or react, but WE are the ones who actually react. HOW we react is what determines whether we are happy, sad, angry, depressed or ~~insert varying emotion here~~.

So now, I ask you - challenge you - to ask yourself one question. Really ask this question of yourself and listen for an answer, you might be surprised at the answer you get back. I would venture to say that many people would come up with several excuses as to why it's not possible or why it's not possible right now, but I want you to listen to your reaction either way.

Ready?


I would like you to ask yourself, "May I be happy?"





Get notified! Become a follower or subscribe to this blog.

1 comment:

Eat To Live said...

I am not an unhappy person, but I can't say I am a totally happy person either... Hmmmm, I guess I never thought about being happy or unhappy.

I do know the more I heal, the happier I become.

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Coffee Candor 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.