Looking for treasure

Sunday, November 7, 2010

As I drive past the church on my way to work every day, I read the sign. You know the type, it's one of those variable letter signs that the pastor can go out to once a week and change to suit his needs; sometimes is a cute saying, sometimes it tells of special events or what Sunday's sermon is going to be.

This week it had a saying, "Some people find fault like they're finding treasure."



Now, sometimes when these sayings go up, I either chuckle at their cute metaphoric message, acknowledge that they are having a pancake breakfast Sunday at 10:00, or simply allow the information to pass through my brain, uninterrupted since what was said really didn't interest me.

But this time was different.

All week long I passed that sign, and subconsciously read it, "Some people find fault like they're finding treasure."

"Yup! I sure know people like that!" and I subsequently and instantaneously listed those people in my mind, those who were always complaining, always finding fault in others. Wasn't it a shame that those people thought that way? And then I moved on with my day as the sign faded into the distance.

Friday afternoon, on my way home I passed the sign again.

"Some people find fault like they're finding treasure" and I once again relished in the fact that Oh YEAH, did I know people like that and I was so happy that I wasn't one of them. Not me, I'm not judgmental, don't look for fault in others, certainly don't relish in finding their faults. Then it hit me.

In my reaction alone, I was doing that very same thing.

And it took me all week to realize it. Hmmphf. Guess there's more work to do.



Get notified! Become a follower or subscribe to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Coffee Candor 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.